Summertime is the height of grilling and barbequing season. Whether it’s a holiday, a get-together with family and friends, or just an attempt to keep the heat out of the kitchen, consumers love any excuse to fire up the grill. Many are also looking for products that can make the most of their time spent outdoors. That’s where hardware retailers and lawn and garden centers can help.
Grill Trends at the 2016 National Hardware Show®
The 2016 National Hardware Show® did not disappoint when it came to products for outdoor cooking and entertaining. The ever-popular tailgate area showcased several new and updated products for retailers to consider bringing to their stores. Some of the trends throughout the Show were:
- Multiple Color Options, like the Weber Q-1200 tabletop/tailgating grill, which comes in seven different choices of finishes (http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/1200).
- Environmentally Friendly Products, like the GoSun Sport solar oven (http://www.gosunstove.com/products/gosun-sport), which can reach cooking temperatures up to 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combination Grills, like the Grill-n-Glow (http://www.grillnglow.com/) portable fire pit and grill combination.
- Wood Pellet Grills, like the Bronson 20 by Traeger Grills (http://www.traegergrills.com/bronson.html), a wood pellet grill/smoker with no open flame, allowing it to conform to many HOA/condo association guidelines.
Top Rated Grills for 2016
Many customers are seeking the best-reviewed and best-rated grills on the market. Fortunately, retailers can turn to Consumer Reports magazine for the latest information on certain products. For the grill category, Consumer Reports tested over 100 gas grills, rating them in five separate areas as well as giving them an overall performance rating (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/lawn-garden/gas-grills/gas-grill-ratings/ratings-overview.htm). According to their findings, the following grills ranked first in overall performance:
- Midsize Gas Grills: Nexgrill, model #720-0830H (https://www.nexgrill.com/), rated 77 out of 100 possible points.
- Large Gas Grills: Napoleon Prestige Pro 665RSIB (http://www.napoleongrills.com/) rated 72 out of 100.
- Small Gas Grills: Huntington model #630124 (http://www.huntingtonbbq.com/) rated 74 out of 100.
- Portable Gas Grills: Cuisinart model #CGG-306 (https://www.cuisinart.com/products/grilling_tools/) rated 67 out of 100.
Additional recommended gas grills included models from brands such as Weber (http://www.weber.com/), Charbroil (http://www.charbroil.com/products/gas-grills?gclid=CLuhkaSr6c0CFZeEaQodKIMKDA), Broil-mate (http://www.broilmatebbq.com/), and Backyard Grill.
Potential Add-Ons for Backyard Grilling and Tailgating
Consumers purchasing new grills might also be looking to expand their purchases, picking up additional items such as utensil sets, kabob racks, grate cleaning brushes, and more. Popular add-ons include:
- Fire Starter Kindling, such as Stump Chunks (www.stumpchunks.com)
- Electric Starter Wands, like Looftlighter (http://www.looftlighter.com/), or Vision Grills Electric Starter (http://www.visiongrills.com/electricstarter/)
- Grill Covers, like those from Foshan Daide Bags Co., LTD. (http://www.chinadaide.com/) available in various sizes and styles, including licensed items.
- Specialty Grill Baking Units, like the BakerStone Pizza Oven Box (http://www.bakerstonebox.com/)
- Smokers, like the Smokehouse Smoker Box by Smokehouse Products (https://www.smokehouseproducts.com/collections/smokers/products/smokehouse-smoker-box?variant=21202113542)